1. A.I. Bezzerides, Kiss Me Deadly screenplay, p. 130. Bezzerides
305 BEACH - VELDA AND MIKE
Velda helps Mike and they run through the darkness which is stabbed
by sharp flickers of light. Now, as they COME CLOSER TO CAMERA, there is
a tremendous explosion. Light gushes fiercely upon them. and they stop,
306 ON BEACH COTTAGE
It is a boiling ball of fire.
307 ON BEACH - VELDA AND MIKE
As he holds her, to protect her from the sight. Debris from the shattered
house falls hissing into the sea behind them.
T H E E N D
2. Jack Shadoian, Dreams and Dead Ends, The American Gangster/Crime
Film (Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT Press, 1977), pp. 349-350.
3. J.P. Telotte, Voices in the Dark, The Narrative Patterns of Film
Noir (Chicago: University of Illinois Press, 1989), p. 213.
4. Robin Wood, "Creativity and Evaluation: two film noirs
of the '50's," CineAction!, No. 20/21 (November, 1990), p.
5. Edward Gallefent, "Kiss Me Deadly" in The Book
of Film Noir (New York: Continuum, 1993), p. 246.
6. Edwin T. Arnold and Eugene L Miller, The Films and Career of Robert
Aldrich (Knoxville, Tennessee: University of Tennessee Press, 1986),
Return to "So What's With the Ending of Kiss Me Deadly?" by Alain Silver